Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Interview w/ Dave Ackerman of Splitting Headache/Tear it Up



How did you get into punk/hardcore music? First Show? Best Show?


Dave- I got into Punk through metal. I got into metal when I was like 7 so it was just the natural progression. The first hardcore band I saw was Agnostic Front in 1992 opening for Obituary as I was still into Metal. I started going to local shows around 1993-94. The first show I ever saw featured the Bristles and Hodge Podge. (local band). Ressurection cancelled. Best show? Impossible to answer. Some shows are musically awesome while others are just fun. Bands that I've had the most fun seeing: Cro Mags, Casualties, Dustheads, Fit For Abuse, Circle Jerks, and Government Warning.


Is it different now then when you first got into it?

Dave: Very! Punk has gone through so many stages. When I first got into it Green Day / Rancid mainstream popularity filtered in a lot of bullshit bands and people. That faded it was more people with genuine interest. Now, because of the huge emo/poppunk radio bands there is a lot of band and people inspired by that. I also just think shows have a lot more people who are trying to flaunt material possessions like fancy sneakers or designer hoodies which I think is stupid. I also think that shows are getting more and more violent every year.

What Inspires you lyrically?

Dave: Idiots I see everyday. Whether its people from shows, people I see at my job, or the idiot I see staring back at me in the mirror.

Is there any upcoming plans for Splitting Headache.New Releases? Tours?

Dave: Splitting Headache has nothing going on. Mike (guitar) is the proud father of a baby boy. We are going to start practicing again soon and hopefully play a few shows in December before we mostlikely will break up. I am probably moving to Tulsa, OK in January and if that happens, we will call it quits.

What do you think about the current state of the hardcore scene? Any current bands you think people should know about?

Dave: The bands I like, I really like but I'm not into nearly as much current hardcore as I've been in the past. I feel like a lot of current Hardcore has gotten too metal and moshy. I was never into that stuff in the early 90s and that era is what a lot of bands are trying to rehash. I like Government Warning, Direct Control, Career Suicide, and bands like that. I would recommend Psyched to Die to people into those bands. They are a newer band featuring members of the Ergs, Splitting Headache, Fast Times, and Hunchback.

Top 3 Records Ever? Hardcore/Non Hardcore

Dave: Another tough one. In no order- Agnostic Front - Victim in Pain. Corrosion of Conformity - Eye for an Eye. Circle Jerks - Group Sex. Non Hardcore. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Metallica - Kill Em All. Neil Young - Harvest.

What are your thoughts on the upcoming election?

Dave: This is the first election I've registered to vote for. That said, I'm still not floored by anyone. I am not a fan of big government and I really don't to pick anymore fights with other nations. There is too much red tape for any major changes to ever really take place in this country. But, I'm still gonna cast my vote for change if you know what I mean.

If you could see any band any line up past or present who would it be?

Dave: Black Flag. 1982 tour.

If you werent in a band what would you be doing with your life?

Dave: Well, my current band is a step away from not being in a band so it's easy. I work full time at an animal hospital. I also date a girl in Boston so I spend a lot of time with her when I'm not working. If I never did any bands ever, I have no idea where I'd be now. Probably living a productive lifestyle with a wife, children, and money in the bank.

Any last words ?

Dave: start your own band. Play what you want to play and if it's good people will like it regardless of what everyone else sounds like. And if they don't, atleast you did what you wanted to do.

myspace.com/splittingheadache

No comments: